Yuri Connoisseur

• Moderation Team
  • 7,850 posts
  • Interests:Anime
    Games
    Music
    NHL
    Cosmos & stuff
Finally something new from Porter Robinson, albeit a collaborative effort. I like it. A new album should be in the works as well.

LorenzoGarbanzo

Yuri Connoisseur

• Moderation Team
  • 7,850 posts
    Games
    Music
    NHL
    Cosmos & stuff
More cool vaporwave from the Dream Catalogue, You Forget This by Sangam.

I already linked 2814 in the last page, but having taken time couple of weeks ago to more thoroughly listen to their two albums, I'm even more impressed. The Japanese album is easily one of the best in recent memory and Rain Temple isn't a whole lot worse.

Currently I'm in the process of giving some more time to Carpenter Brut and Perturbator. Perturbator especially I really want to like, just due to the non-musical reasons.

LorenzoGarbanzo

Yuri Connoisseur

• Moderation Team
  • 7,850 posts
    Games
    Music
    NHL
    Cosmos & stuff

View PostLorenzoGarbanzo, on 22 March 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

Currently I'm in the process of giving some more time to Carpenter Brut and Perturbator. Perturbator especially I really want to like, just due to the non-musical reasons.

Well I think I eventually figured Perturbator out. Can now say I like it, especially The Uncanny Valley.

Speaking of which, he released a new EP, New Model. The older albums are also getting re-released by Blood Music (since they've been sold out forever) and I'm kinda tempted to buy some. Especially the aforementioned Uncanny Valley, since the Sunday Satanist in me enjoys the special edition presentation.

Posted Image

LorenzoGarbanzo

Yuri Connoisseur

• Moderation Team
  • 7,850 posts
    Games
    Music
    NHL
    Cosmos & stuff
As mentioned, new EP by The Midnight was released yesterday, Nocturnal. That said, it's like 40 minutes long, so plenty of new stuff.

Heard it once now and it seems to share the inconsistency issues that the debut full-length had. Too many instrumentals being one of them, those just aren't their forte (albeit Collateral is pretty good). Out of the four vocal tracks, the first two are fucking amazing and exactly what I love in this band. The other two are definitely inferior, but still fine. In general, the songs average almost 6 minutes, which translates into some dragging moments, none as obvious as the 7-minute instrumental title track.

So in summary, if nothing else, listen to Shadows and Crystalline.

LorenzoGarbanzo

Yuri Connoisseur

• Moderation Team
  • 7,850 posts
    Games
    Music
    NHL
    Cosmos & stuff
So there was a Bandcamp article about wave genre. Not vaporwave or new wave or whatever, just wave. I wouldn't even know where they come up with these definitions, but I randomly picked one featured album and it was actually really good. I loved the vaporwave of 2814 and this was not a whole lot worse.

The cover art is rather misleading, since it isn't exactly very gothic.

LorenzoGarbanzo

Yuri Connoisseur

• Moderation Team
  • 7,850 posts
    Games
    Music
    NHL
    Cosmos & stuff
More dreamy synth goodness. Not directly advertised as vaporwave, but it's in the similar realm.

https://bludhoney.ba...p.com/album/--2

LorenzoGarbanzo

Yuri Connoisseur

• Moderation Team
  • 7,850 posts
    Games
    Music
    NHL
    Cosmos & stuff

I think I may finally get it.

Jonas

Crazy Diamond

• Moderation Team
  • 8,488 posts
  • Interests:2D girls and Marcus-senpai!
Get what?

LorenzoGarbanzo

Yuri Connoisseur

• Moderation Team
  • 7,850 posts
    Games
    Music
    NHL
    Cosmos & stuff
Why these are consistently high up in the bandcamp best-selling -queue. Well, other than the fact that they are free. Great stuff in there and healing is very wacky in a good way.

LorenzoGarbanzo

Yuri Connoisseur

• Moderation Team
  • 7,850 posts
    Games
    Music
    NHL
    Cosmos & stuff
Towards stranger things, this time we have DJ RAY-XANS.

https://acidmedical....-my-angel-wings
https://dreamcatalog...-you-like-death

First you have the cover arts, which are just amazing in their terribleness. Then you look at the tags:

alternative, ambient, breakcore, drum and bass, kidcore, killdream, neoironicism, nightcore, postvore, transmusic

What is this? And once you start the first track you realize it has chipmunk vocals. Ordinarily I'd be long gone, but I'm actually loving this. The music is great and the vocal lines are awesome, so much so that the vocal style doesn't even matter. Just listen to Blood Dripping Down From My Angel Wings, off the first release. Intense. They're really short EPs too, easy to listen to.

LorenzoGarbanzo

Yuri Connoisseur

• Moderation Team
  • 7,850 posts
    Games
    Music
    NHL
    Cosmos & stuff
Some fairly interesting releases:

Remember - The City Is My Friend
Some tracks, such as the first one, remind me of Mass Effect. While it has that cityscape ambiance thing going, it doesn't completely rely on atmosphere.

日没 Inc. - Airport Kansai
This one is just bizarre. As the name suggests, it's some kind of Kansai Airport inspired ambient/vaporwave/whatever album. Has some real troll stuff, such as lounge jazz and the beginning of track 5, but also some solid atmospheres and soundscapes.

LorenzoGarbanzo

Yuri Connoisseur

• Moderation Team
  • 7,850 posts
    Games
    Music
    NHL
    Cosmos & stuff
Klimeks - Love Dream Infinite
More chill, dreamy goodness. Have to think about buying the cassette.

OGRE - Ballard
Love the sound-design, if only because I'm a big fan of plucked synth sounds, playing these arpeggios or arpeggiated figures. The tracks are therefore quite similar, but it didn't seem to be a hindrance. Much more analogue sounding in general, supposedly inspired by classic synth soundtrack stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users